Apple will keep us healthy: New data center will be good for the state economy

Some might not like the idea of offering tax breaks to corporations during a recession.

Yet state legislators and Gov. Bev Perdue recently invited Apple Inc. to set up shop in the state for the low low cost of $46 million in tax incentives.

One thing is clear when the numbers are crunched. It's worth it.

In the face of one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression and a multi-billion dollar budget gap it's still worth it.

That might not be obvious to anyone watching or reading the news.

But it's a different story for anyone with an eye on the state's 10.8 percent unemployment rate.

Apple's new center will bring in more than 3000 regional jobs to wherever the site is built and will staff at least 50 people full time.

That might not solve North Carolina's unemployment problem. But it's a step in the right direction even if it does cost the state a nice sum of money.

But jobs aren't the only things Apple is bringing to the table.

The corporation is expected to invest $1 billion in the state's economy over the next decade.

That's more than enough to cover the initial cost to the taxpayers.

Plus others may follow where Apple blazes the trail. One big business could bring more and if there's anything North Carolina could use more of right now it's more dollar-churning companies.

Yes there's a risk in using tax incentives to lure corporations to the state.

What if enough jobs aren't created? What if it doesn't generate anywhere near the expected money? What if it has to close down in a couple of years?

The blunt answer is that without risk there is no reward.

Perdue understands this and shouldn't be criticized for keeping up with the times.

Things aren't going to get any better on their own and at least the state is making an effort.

This is a smart investment. Only time will tell whether it's a good one.