Choose public service: Students should be charitable given the poor economy

The current job market can make planning post-college life dreary.

But there's an alternative to being depressed about the lack of corporate jobs with cushy paychecks.

There are plenty of public service internships and jobs worth exploring in the U.S. or internationally.

The Peace Corps AmeriCorps Teach For America and English as a second language jobs abroad all provide transitional opportunities to serve the community and enable personal growth.

Students interested in such opportunities can meet with a counselor at University Career Services.

In addition to meeting with counselors University Career Services provides books pamphlets and access to Web sites.

These are all useful resources for students who are looking to circumvent the job market.

Jacquelyn Gist assistant director of University Career Services works with students who are interested in nonprofits or other public service organizations after graduation.

Gist encourages students to consider public service saying" ""I know it sounds cheesy but people out of college want to contribute to the world around them. Why bother being here if it's not going to matter if you are here?""

Gist is right.

UNC students have a reputation for being service oriented" so the University has recruiters on campus for popular public service programs like the Peace Corps and Teach For America.

Life after college can be a time of adventure for the young person without adult responsibilities.

Spending time in a foreign country through a public service program is an invaluable experience. It can be a time to travel around or learn a new language.

Public service programs can allow time to explore other interests and to consider different career options for the future.

For the person looking to  benefit the world public service programs are a way to make the most of your time following college.