Stop censoring: Faculty should help out conservative groups

University faculty are essentially censoring conservative student groups. And that's not right.

Student groups are required to have a faculty adviser. If they can't find one they aren't officially recognized by the University.

And that's what happened to Youth for Western Civilization.

Their faculty adviser professor Chris Clemens decided he no longer wants to be associated with the national YWC organization.

We understand Clemens' dilemma.

YWC isn't exactly a desirable organization to be associated with.

But Clemens' reluctance to associate with the national YWC organization essentially shuts down the UNC chapter of YWC.

Without a faculty adviser and University recognition YWC will no longer be able to petition for funds from Student Congress or use campus facilities.

And that shouldn't be the case.

The students of YWC should have the same access to University resources as any other group regardless of what they stand for.

But the Office of Student Activities and Organizations requires student groups to have faculty advisers.

This makes sense.

Advisers help groups navigate University policies act as mentors and bring continuity to groups when leaders graduate.

But it also places an unnecessary burden on student groups to find faculty members who can support their missions.

It's a particular problem for conservative groups.

There just aren't enough faculty members willing to support a conservative group like YWC — Clemens represents five as it is.

Having groups like YWC on campus adds to discussion.

The faculty should make a better effort to help advise conservative student groups.