W. Lacrosse: Tar Heels enjoy magical run

wolax
Midfielder Jenn Russell led the team with 38 goals in the season. She dished out 10 assists and was a first-team All-America honoree.

Rewind past the stunning win against Maryland in the Final Four. Skip over the two March victories against top-five opponents.

Look past the unlucky weather that quite possibly cost UNC an early-season win against No.1  Northwestern.

And stop at the preseason camping trip to Lutherock near Boone.

It was there that the women's lacrosse team enjoyed a weekend together that would help set the tone for a season filled with exceeded expectations.

Along with team chats to learn about each other off the field and a fiery display of the basketball game Knockout by freshman Laura Zimmerman" the Tar Heel squad also partook in a team-building exercise.

""We did an obstacle course-like thing"" junior Jenn Russell said. We had to climb up this wall.

""A lot of people — including myself — we're terrified and did not want to do it. But we just decided that the whole team was going to do it" and everyone was going to help each other out" she said.

From there, well, the lacrosse part seemed relatively easy.

After entering the season ranked No. 9 in the country, the North Carolina team went on a tear never before seen in school history.

Yes, they suffered early-season losses against NU and Penn, but they followed with eight straight victories.

We kind of took each game one at a time" but by the end of the season we were like ‘Oh my god. I can't believe this is happening"'"" Russell said.

Still" in the semifinals of the ACC Tournament the team got a wakeup call — losing 14-4 to Duke.

It seemed that their magical season might end early in the NCAAs after such a dreary performance.

But then North Carolina won. Then again — advancing to the Final Four after losing in the quarterfinals the four previous times.

Problem was the undefeated Maryland Terrapins stood in the way of the program's first-ever trip to the national championship game.

There was no way North Carolina would win again right?

Especially after a first half that saw the Terps run their offensive plays effortlessly and efficiently — scoring four goals.

But so too had the Tar Heels and when the second half began" UNC eventually slid ahead and won.

""It's not always pretty" Russell said. But we have really talented hardworking people" and it just worked out.""

North Carolina had finally made the national championship for the first time in the program's history.

""I will always have a special bond with my teammates because we accomplished something together"" Russell said. It was special. It was great.""

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.