Energy policy to regulate UNC

7-23 energy
Keeping in line with the efficiency of Cameron Avenue?s steam and power plant" a new energy use policy will help keep UNC eco-friendly.

UNC has implemented a new campuswide energy policy but it could be months before the energy plan affects the campus community.

The general goal for the plan is to reduce energy use by lowering energy output in buildings on campus especially during off-hours.

The plan is being executed carefully by taking specific measures like reducing air conditioning overnight in a few buildings at a time.

UNC Director of Energy Management Chris Martin said special leniency is being given to laboratories" museums and libraries.

""We don't want to relax temperature constraints in the library where historical documents could be damaged by increased humidity"" he said.

Martin said his department has been careful to coordinate with Ackland Art Museum, where artwork could be altered by climate change, and Berryhill Hall, where animals are kept.

He said the energy plan is comprehensive and relies heavily on University employees and the campus community to contribute to lower energy use.

Turning the lights out may be an inconvenience" but there's a balance to be struck" said Martin. We're trying very hard to find that balance between inconvenience and energy conservation.""

Martin confirmed that the energy policy was initiated exclusively within the University and said the new cost-cutting directives assigned by financial consulting firm Bain & Company did not influence or suggest any specific techniques related to the new policy.

Martin said there is no way to calculate the savings the plan will provide to the University.

UNC Sustainability Office Director Cindy Shea said the new energy plan was actually drafted in the fall"" but budget cutbacks may have contributed to the current initiative.

""The need to save money is more compelling today than it was in the fall"" she said.

Shea added that the Sustainability Office is working to inspire the full support of the campus, including administrative offices, faculty and students to make small changes that would add up to big energy savings.

We want lights off in offices"" we want people to dress appropriately and we want everyone to chip in in this effort.""

Shea said the new energy policy will help the University keep its national pledge to climate neutrality by 2050.

""Reducing energy consumption is desirable from many aspects.""