The nagging questions persist like Brett Favre's career.

How will UNC recover from the loss of its three top wideouts? What will the Tar Heels do without the man who wears 4XL size gloves? Who on the team will be able to catch a pass?

If TNT knows drama certain media outlets know doomsday because that's apparently where Butch Davis and his offense are going without Hakeem Nicks Brandon Tate and Brooks Foster.

Many journalists throughout the Southeast have proclaimed that the Tar Heels pass offense will be average at best and horrific at worst. One ESPN.com writer went so far as to rank the North Carolina wide receivers as the second-worst unit in the ACC — only one better than Virginia.

And with Greg Little the only returner with any starting experience — granted a mere two games — it's feasible to see why. Still don't expect such a dramatic dropout.

For starters that certainly begins with Little. After a largely disappointing go-around at running back to begin the 2008 season Davis shifted the tailback back to Little's original collegiate position of wideout before the Virginia game. Though Little has yet to materialize into the star some projected when he entered UNC he did end this past year in a fairly promising fashion.

Against Duke in the team's regular season finale Little caught four passes for 67 yards. Nearly a month later in North Carolina's bowl game against West Virginia he added two catches for 36 yards.

Although these stats are not overly impressive one has to remember that Nicks was lining up alongside Little — clearly inhibiting his chances.

Still it's hard to believe that Little will continue to be denied in this manner. Many recruiting services characterized the wideout as the most versatile player in the country upon entering college though at this point it's been mere glimpses with Little.

Another cause for optimism rests on the shoulders of 6-foot 5-inch sophomore Dwight Jones. Although it appeared he would be redshirted this past season Jones was inserted into three games. Jones didn't tally a reception but based off his spring game stats — three catches for 61 yards — he could be penciled in for a starting role.

Most people tend to forget that Jones graduated high school as the nation's No. 22 player according to Rivals a sports information Web site. In fact he was considered the No. 1 prospect in North Carolina.

Freshman Jheranie Boyd isn't nearly as tall but he comes to Chapel Hill with much the same acclaim. Rivals had him as the No. 48 prospect in the 2009 class.

Though doubters of these Tar Heels will point to in-game experience as a notion for concern — and rightfully so — such talent is still hard to ignore.

Thus look for a fairly strong year out of the North Carolina wideouts. They certainly can't be much less.

Contact Chris Hempson at chempson@unc.edu.