Why you should care: Town elections matter. Students pay attention.

Municipal election season has started.

And there are ways in which the town government affects students often more than realized.

Town policies regarding safety and town growth have a direct impact on campus life. And students can use town elections to voice their opinions on such matters.

The town government has a significant role in regulating celebratory events on Franklin Street. Halloween festivities were modified in 2008 to ensure the safety of students. The new Homegrown Halloween made efforts to downsize the number of out-of-towners.

Other safety issues that affect students are panhandling and homelessness downtown. The policies that the town council and mayor draft affect the daily life of any student who walks down Franklin Street.

Then there are all the matters having to do with the town's expansion.

Carolina North is a go. And for better or for worse the town is expanding.

As the town continues to grow students will be affected by the changes.

As residents students will experience increased traffic changes made to the ever frustrating parking demands and perhaps even a change in the feel of the whole community.

There are definitely some perks for students as the community grows.

The Downtown Wireless Pilot Project provides free wireless from various access points downtown. The program might eventually lead to free wireless Internet all over town.

The outcome of this year's elections will not only affect how these issues are handled but also other policies that affect students' lives as Chapel Hill residents.

Some students might not be able to vote in local elections but all of us should still stay informed.

This is where we live. These elections will affect us.