Let the voters decide: Council should appoint ?fth-place ?nisher in Nov. election to ?ll Bill Strom’s seat

Bill Strom, a veteran member of the Chapel Hill Town Council, announced his resignation July 30, just after the deadline for local election filings.

This puts the town of Chapel Hill in an uncomfortable position, as the council must now appoint a member to his seat instead of having it filled in the election.

Whatever Strom’s motives for giving up his seat after the filing deadline, his decision makes the Town Council less democratic.

There’s already one council member who is there by appointment.

Adding another would further lessen the council’s mandate to govern.

But there’s any easy way filling Strom’s seat can be as democratic as possible.

There are four seats open on the council this November and eight candidates. Strom’s seat would have been the fifth opening.

Having the council appoint the fifth-place finisher would be not only a logical, but a democratic solution to this problem.

Strom himself was recently honored by an elected official with the Goodmon Award for regional leadership.

He should show his leadership and initiative now by strongly suggesting his successor be the candidate who gets the most votes without being elected.

The council wouldn’t have to listen to him, but as a respected public figure he should use his power to promote the democratic process.

The council is free to appoint any qualified person to this seat.

However, if they don’t pick the candidate who just barely misses out, their motives and principles ought to become a matter of great public concern.

Local residents should follow this situation closely, as it will determine their clout over town matters for at least the next four years.

It’s ultimately up to the council to fill this seat.

Let’s hope they do it as democratically as possible.