Voicing the views of our campus

The opinion page of the Daily Tar Heel plays a distinct role in the life of the University.

It’s not our job to be objective (we’ll leave that up to the newsroom). It’s our job to opine on issues and events affecting the campus community.

The editorial board researches and writes several unsigned editorials each day that represent its collective opinion.

We’ve added a few more slots to the board this year to bring in even more perspectives to the page.

Ten columnists will write semiweekly columns, focusing on everything from women and gender issues to studying abroad.

The diversity in opinions and topics this year should certainly spice the page up.

Guest columnists will be solicited when a particularly complicated or controversial issue arises on campus.

The editorial board will also be endorsing a candidate in the Chapel Hill mayoral election and in the spring campus elections, including the student body president.

And of course, we will continue to publish letters to the editor.

Letters to the editor are your space. This is your chance to share your opinion with the campus community.

So keep them coming!

There are some issues that we know will continue to dominate the headlines — the effects of budget cuts and further discussion of Carolina North, among others. And we’ll be there to provide insightful commentary on these issues.

But the unexpected events are what I’m most looking forward to discussing on this page.

Controversial issues last year made the opinion page ground zero for dialogue about sensitive issues such as abortion and immigration rights.

And the campus community was actively involved in these conversations through letters to the editor, comments online and guest columns.

Of course, we’ll continue to publish the venerable kvetching board on Fridays and QuickHits on Wednesdays. But we’re also going to be trying out some new things this semester.

We’re bringing back “Viewpoints,” in which an issue is debated from two different perspectives, as opposed to a single unsigned editorial taking a single stance.

We’ll also be expanding our online presence with the launch of the new dailytarheel.com.

The new Web site will make it easier for you to submit letters to the editor and comment on stories.

And it will allow us to better connect with readers. The columnists will have a blog in which they will update regularly. And the opinion page will update a Twitter account with editorials and columnists.

Check out the Web site soon to check out video introductions of the editorial members and columnists and for a more thorough explanation of the functioning of the editorial board.

Looking forward to another great year!