The (Raleigh) News & Observer recently had a series of timely and illuminating reports on the growth of the university administration. Such in-depth investigative reporting is becoming a rarity, but it is a priceless ingredient of a true democracy.

The N&O, however, was barking up the wrong tree when it cited as administrative excess a dedicated UNC administrative assistant who during 37 years has worked with two medical school deans and six chancellors and is now the secretary of the University.

For 47 of the past 61 years, I have had the privilege of being at UNC and observing the unique contributions made by many who serve as administrative assistants to department chairs, deans and chancellors.

Their deep roots in the local and university community, their common sense and their people skills more than make up for what they may lack in advanced degrees. They have a rare work ethic that results in long hours behind the scenes to help manage a complex and growing academic endeavor.

As the senior academic administrators inevitably change, these assistants provide the stability and institutional memory to help the University continue to serve the needs of the citizens of the state through its mission of education, research and service.

The UNC administrative assistants should not be viewed as examples of excessive administrative overhead.

Rather they should be honored as Tar Heels of the Week for what they do for our university and for the people of the state.

William W. McLendon
UNC ’52
Professor Emeritus, School of Medicine