Alumni network to attract strongest students

GAA entices potential new students

Even years after they graduate, UNC’s alumni still play a vital role in bringing top students to campus.

The General Alumni Association, primarily charged with providing a network of support for graduates, also plays an aggressive role in working with UNC’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions to recruit the nation’s best undergraduate students.

Their personal experience and ability to sell the campus to prospective students is becoming more important in the face of stiffer recruitment competition and budget cuts.

“We have a legitimate interest in talking with people about the place we love,” said Stephen Farmer, associate provost and director of undergraduate admissions.

The GAA typically hosts three receptions for admitted out-of-state students in major East Coast cities, but was forced to cancel them this year because of budget constraints.

Despite the cut, members of the New York Carolina Club, a group of alumni in the area, held a reception on their own.

Farmer said the informal relationship between the admissions office and the alumni association has existed for 25 years. He said cooperation between the two organizations might save the school money, but it provides more important benefits.

“What’s absolutely true is that there are great students at Carolina now because of this partnership who wouldn’t have been here if the partnership hadn’t existed,” he said.

Admissions officials said the value of using alumni as recruiting tools is that graduates often can share their personal experience to connect with prospective students.

The GAA sponsors several events that further recruiting efforts, including receptions for admitted students, a forum for high school students and a day for prospective students to shadow current students.

In the spring of 2009, the GAA hosted receptions for more than 300 admitted students in North Carolina to convince them to attend UNC.

Alumni also are trained to represent the University to prospective students through the Carolina Alumni Admissions Program, Farmer said.

The Order of the Bell Tower, a student ambassador program sponsored by the GAA, holds a shadow day, in which a group of high school juniors are able to observe a student’s daily activities. They target students from specific geographic regions.

“We like to create an intimate environment and unique experience,” said Kat Butler, coordinator of student programs and adviser to the Order of the Bell Tower.

Doug Dibbert, president of the alumni association, said the GAA and the admissions office are focused on ensuring that quality students will continue to attend UNC.

“Ultimately what we’re trying to achieve is outstanding students at Carolina,” Dibbert said. “Those students will be here for a few years and will be alumni of Carolina for the rest of their lives.”