Artwalk ?aunts local work

Twenty-three of Carrboro and Chapel Hill’s most renowned venues will be displaying artwork tonight as part of the towns’ monthly celebration.

The 2ndFriday Artwalk takes place from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. across the two towns, from Southern Village to downtown Carrboro.

Admission is free, and there will be wine and music at some locations. Everyone from art lovers to novices is encouraged to participate.

Unlike a traditional art gallery, where regulations make patrons feel obligated to whisper their thoughts on pieces, the Artwalk combines socializing with analysis of the works, which range from still photographs to oil paintings.

Large venues like the Ackland Art Museum will host displays alongside lesser-known art houses like Studio Supply and Fleet Feet Gallery.

Many of the smaller venues have limited hours during the week, which keep some people from attending otherwise.

Far from one-dimensional, the 2ndFriday Artwalk features everything from the most controversial and taboo pieces, such as those at The Merch on Lloyd Street in Carrboro, to paintings of North Carolina landscapes.

“We try to make our place as abnormal as possible,” said Chip Hoppin, owner of The Merch.

His gallery will host a Latin theme night, displaying Mexican wrestling masks while serving food out of a taco truck.

Tyndall Galleries in University Mall will host a major showing of artists they represent, including several UNC alumni, said Jane Tyndall, an Artwalk veteran and UNC graduate.

There also will be the opportunity to experience artistic expression from artists who reside in North Carolina, as well as sculptors who have never set foot on American soil.

Garry Meldrum, co-founder of the Artwalk and owner of the Turning Point Gallery, will display Chinese paper sculptures at his University Mall location.

Other venues provide a glimpse at local artistry, such as the N.C. Crafts Gallery, which features handcrafted artifacts.

Some of its exhibits include pottery, glasswork and folk art.

The gallery will showcase two North Carolinians, artists Sarah Faulkner and Jim Whalen.

Faulkner will be meeting and discussing her work with those who visit the gallery during the walk.

“She’s not folk, but it has a dreamy-like effect to it,” said Monica Hedgecock, a representative from the N.C. Crafts Gallery, about Faulkner.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.