This quote was in The Daily Tar Heel on Wednesday as the featured online reader comment (in reference to “Identity in Ink,” Sept. 23): “I am sickened by Christians who judge and claim to know who God loves and what He approves of.”

I have to say that this quote shows some ignorance on the part of the writer.

Christians commit their lives, or should, to living by the Word of God, commonly known as the Bible. Christians do not claim to judge for themselves what is right or wrong. The Bible clearly lays out a lot — not all — but a lot of what is right and wrong.

The topic on which the quote was posted was about transgenders, which — according to various parts of the Bible — is wrong.

The Bible and a personal relationship with Christ is what Christianity is based around.

Claiming that we cannot use these as standards for our own behavior and our communities, and that we are being hateful, is simply incorrect and biased against Christianity.

So to respond to what the writer said: God loves everyone, but not everything we do is approved of by Him — especially those outlined as wrong in the Bible.

Perhaps before criticizing people and their religion, you should do some research on why they think that way and what their faith calls for. A church does not, or should not, kick someone out for struggling with a sin. But when the person, despite the teachings of the Bible, refuses to acknowledge it as sin, the real problem shows itself.

Grayson Street
Sophomore
Computer Science