Cost of going Greek stops some students from rushing

But numbers not as low as expected

To rush, or not to rush: It’s one of the questions that crosses nearly every freshman’s mind.

Greek life at UNC involves more than 2,900 students — about 17 percent of undergraduates.

But involvement in the Greek system can be expensive. Membership averages about $2,040 for new Panhellenic sorority members and $1,792 for new Interfraternity Council members.

And due to the current economic situation, many students said they considered money when making their decisions.

High hopes for a rush class

Casey Cowan, Panhellenic vice president of recruitment, said in an e-mail that she was worried the economic situation would cause the number of people registered for Greek rush to dwindle.

Representatives at the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life would not say how many students have registered to rush. But Cowan said it was more than she anticipated.

“I am pleasantly surprised at the number registered because — as you know — the economy is not that great right now, and …sorority dues can be expensive,” Cowan said in the e-mail.

To rush

Freshman Gabi Browne from Florida said she is rushing because she liked the Greek life that people were involved with in her home state.

“I think being an out-of-state student, it’s a more helpful way to meet people,” she said.

But Browne said she is not sure if she will pledge even though she is rushing.

But if she decides to join a sorority, she said she will have to pay her own dues.

Not to rush

Melina Silva, a freshman biology major, said she is not rushing because her out-of-state tuition is enough to handle.

“Since I’m from out of state, my tuition is expensive, and I can’t afford it,” she said.

Silva also said she isn’t interested in paying a lot of money to be part of the “in crowd.” She said sororities are a major part of campus life in Florida, where she is from, and she wanted to distance herself from them.

Expensive, but worth it

Jessamy Nichols, a freshman from Winston-Salem, agreed that Greek life can be expensive, but plans to rush.

Nichols also said she will have to split the cost with her parents if she does decide to join a sorority.

“It’s something that’s hard to do with the economy,” she said. “But if it’s something that’s worth it, I can deal with the monetary issue.”

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.