Monday’s front page article, “Crisp tells Greeks to shape up,” (Sept. 21) was at best a baseless attack on the Greek system.

After the unfortunate and untimely death of Courtland Smith, UNC’s Greek system has been heavily criticized by non-affiliated students and faculty alike.

What nobody seems keen to mention is the fact that drinking and drug abuse are prominent problems on any campus in our country.

Winston Crisp, assistant vice chancellor for student affairs, admitted that, “We know it’s not all connected with Greek life, but by and large, the perception is that it’s connected.”

Continuing to perpetuate that perception to a group of future Greek students will only further strain the relationship between fraternities and the University.

The front page article briefly brings up the topic of the recent cocaine arrests made on campus, and once again makes a point to note that “some” of the students involved were Greek students.

There were also alumni and non-affiliated students involved. Should we begin to cut ties with our alumni relations as well?

If the University wishes to maintain a strong relationship with a large portion of its students, it needs to realize that making defamatory accusations against the Greek system will do nothing but cause larger rifts and could stand to greatly weaken UNC financially and with future alumni leadership.

Now is the time for the University to come together with the fraternity and sorority system of UNC and build not only a stronger, healthier Greek system, but a stronger University.

Brandon Wolfe
Sophomore
Economics