Friday January 15th

Don’t judge Tucker Max movie until you see it

At showings across the nation, including at N. C. State University, women and men have had equal presence in the audience and equal reviews of “I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell.” The response to the movie has been overwhelmingly positive, with standing ovations at each premiere.

The movie and book are clear in their sole intention of making people laugh. The two strongest characters in the movie adaptation of Max’s novel are two women. And no woman has ever come forward to accuse Tucker Max of rape. Wouldn’t you think if Max continued to “push the line of consent,” someone would step up and say “Enough is enough, this is what he did to me”?

Many best-selling authors have made their fame bringing up taboo topics and pushing the envelope. The responsible thing for The Daily Tar Heel to do would be to encourage readers to view the movie for themselves and draw their own conclusions.

After all, if everyone at UNC saw the movie and decided unanimously that it was offensive and promoted rape culture among women, wouldn’t it be better to protest with the support of all the students, rather than taking the word of a few?

Brandon Wolfe
Sophomore
Economics

The Daily Tar Heel for December 7, 2020