With news of only a few members of the Greek community stepping out of line and the entire body being held responsible for these actions, I find it ironic, yet unsurprising, that The Daily Tar Heel has failed to report on itself.

Several Daily Tar Heel staff members were cited for underage drinking this weekend, according to police reports.

I would venture to say that every organization on campus does some form of illicit behavior to a certain degree.

When so many step out of line, The Daily Tar Heel chooses to find these activities unnewsworthy. When few step out of line (in other words: a few within the Greek community involved with cocaine) the news makes the front page day after day. And the names of fraternities and sororities that these few were involved with are likewise slandered.

There is an obvious incongruence that the entire University should be aware of: If the Greek community is to face repercussions for its actions (in the form of Winston Crisp’s address and strained University relations), why should The Daily Tar Heel not also?

Why should every campus organization not also?

Benjamin Brumley
Junior
Psychology

Editor’s note: During a party Friday night not sponsored by The Daily Tar Heel, eight DTH staff members were among 25 people cited for underage drinking. Due to the frequency of the offense, The Daily Tar Heel does not generally report on individuals cited for underage alcohol consumption. Editor-in-Chief Andrew Dunn will explain the rationale for the DTH’s coverage of incidents involving the Greek community in a column to appear later this week.