Fewer H1N1 cases reported

Decline in flu-like symptoms
Decline in flu-like symptoms

The masks are coming off.

Campus Health Services is taking a momentary sigh of relief thanks to a dip in the number of suspected cases of H1N1.

The Alert Carolina Web site, which tracks reported cases, shows that fewer students are reporting flu-like symptoms.

“The numbers are very reassuring,” said Mary Beth Koza, director of UNC’s Department of Environment, Health and Safety.

Reported cases are based on a checklist of symptoms, not laboratory testing. Due to a high number of cases and expensive lab costs, tests are reserved for hospitalized patients.

People with H1N1 symptoms have been told to take the precautions, assuming they have the virus.

Koza said the H1N1 virus has been infecting the campus in waves. The first wave lasted for approximately 12 weeks this spring, she said.

UNC might be seeing the end of a second wave that began at the start of the semester, Koza said.

Mary Covington, assistant vice chancellor for Campus Health Services, said the decrease in cases can likely be attributed to precautions and a greater awareness of how to avoid catching the flu.

Precautions include covering one’s mouth and nose when sneezing, avoiding contact with sick people and staying at home if symptoms occur.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention expect to have an H1N1 vaccine available soon.

Despite the current decrease in reported cases, the winter flu season is approaching. This means a third wave of infections could still happen, Covington said.

For students to keep from getting sick in the next campus outbreak, Koza said they should be prepared with a flu kit.

A flu kit should include ibuprofen or acetaminophen, tissues, hand sanitizer, a thermometer and surgical masks. All these are available at Campus Health Services.

“Many people already have all the components. It’s like a hurricane kit — everyone should have one prepared,” Koza said.

Koza also suggested that students and employees have flu buddies, responsible for getting food, medicine and help.

“The issue is still serious,” she said. “If you’re not feeling well after three days, you need to seek medical attention.”