The fear-mongering scientists have underestimated me again. They forgot that the mutant super-bacteria in beer pong cups are no match for my young immune system, even when it is handicapped by a string of all-nighters.

So why do they think I need a vaccine to protect against a flu that started in pigs? I eat those things for breakfast — literally.

Alas, this is one of those times when sucking up my pride and getting vaccinated is worth it.

What makes this year any different? For one, the H1N1 flu is almost five times more likely to infect 15- to 24-year-olds than those over 60, and its high infectiousness gives it the potential to spread faster than an unauthorized Paris Hilton video.

This is especially true on campus where packed buses, dorms and classrooms can quickly turn into viral orgies.

Vaccine skepticism is only natural. Everyone has a story about getting sick the same year they got the shot. What most do not realize is the majority of these cases are caused by other bacteria or viruses since a well-matched vaccine provides up to 90 percent protection against flu infection.

Nonetheless, there are years when a rapidly mutating virus significantly reduces a vaccine’s effectiveness.

But keep in mind that even a badly matched vaccine can prevent serious complications. While this may not seem important since the 2008 H1N1 illness was mild, the flu virus has already mutated this year and could easily become more dangerous.

This is exactly what happened with the 1918-19 Spanish flu, which was characterized as mild in the spring but came back stronger a few months later, killing 10 times as many people.

In addition to providing immediate protection, vaccination can also bolster your immune system for the future, as displayed by the resilience of old folks to H1N1. The fact that Granny is less likely to get sick with the swine flu has more to do with the dozens of flu viruses she’s been exposed to than the prune juice she chugs every day.

Vaccination is not the only important safety measure. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have published some useful tips for college campuses other than the standard measures of hand washing and covering your sneezes.

It recommends that who have flu-like symptoms stay inside or consider traveling home and avoid contact with others until at least 24 hours after the fever subsides.

Holding lectures and tutoring online might be necessary if the flu becomes widespread on campus. So do not be freaked out if you get a Facebook invite from your professor – unless it is for his or her hot tub party.

Joking aside, the report published by a White House advisory panel has mapped out a “likely scenario” with the flu infecting half the U.S. and killing 90,000 people, mostly children and young adults.

While it is hard not to brush this off as a worst-case scenario, it makes the point that H1N1 will devastate many like me who sometimes feel invincible. Do not waste the most powerful tool available to protect yourself and others from this illness.

Get vaccinated.

Andrew Moon
Health Columnist
Second-year School of Medicine student from Durham
Contact Andrew at andrew_moon@med.unc.edu