The Association of Student Governments is an important organization for UNC-Chapel Hill to be a part of. It is one of the ways in which all 17 UNC-system campuses can come together to discuss issues and ideas that each campus is facing throughout the year.

This organization has been working to regain structure and involvement after years of lack of participation from many campuses. I completely understand the concern with the administrative costs that students may have, but before we judge, we must ask the executive officers what their job consists of and assess if the labor is worth the cost.

I believe that we must give this organization a chance to show how it can serve the state of North Carolina, now that it has full participation from all schools.

From my experience, I am excited about working with other schools to improve their campuses dealing with safety, administrators, and student participation and in return, they will share their innovative ideas with us.

I want to urge us to remain critical of the organization, so that we can be accountable to this campus. But I also want us to give ASG a chance to prove that it can improve the lives of students through advocacy work with General Administration and the Board of Governors and bringing all UNC-system campuses together.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was one of the first schools to start this organization and we have the most participants working for it now.

Therefore, there must be some good potential that this organization has and we need to give it time to legitimize itself during its second year of strong leadership and stability.

Jasmin Jones
Student Body President