There has been a great deal of talk lately about Greeks taking responsibility for their actions and their reputation.

What these critics fail to understand is that the group that has been labeled “Greek” is a figurative umbrella term akin to the likes of UNC “athletics.”

The UNC football team doesn’t feel the fallout when the UNC swimming team is cited for numerous alcohol violations.

This is because each athletic organization is viewed as an individual group that is accountable for its own actions. The groups are viewed as mature enough — so the blame isn’t passed up the hierarchy until it encompasses people who were completely unrelated.

I joined the fraternity I am a member of because I sympathized with the character and the reputation of the men within that group.

And while I will be the first to admit that my fraternity is not perfect, I refuse to be labeled a reckless alcoholic or a drug trafficker. When students at this University accept bids from a specific fraternity or sorority, they do so with a desire to be associated with that specific house, not the one down the street.

If the innocent are punished and slandered the same as the guilty, then we remove any incentive for those who have been doing the right thing to uphold the standards laid down by the University in the first place.

Neil Delap
Junior
Economics