Hiking the fee trail: Some hikes might be warranted, but students should scrutinize all proposed fee increases

After the N.C. General Assembly-mandated $200 tuition increase and rumors of a larger hike for out-of-state students, the proposed $85 student fee increase might seem like bad timing.

That’s why students need to be cognizant of the proposed increases.

As the various fee committees meet to decide whether to bump annual fees to $1,845, students should scrutinize the proposals so they have a full understanding of where their money is going.

Given the financial situations of many students and their families, another proposal to raise funds from students is difficult to swallow.

Fee increases might truly be necessary every year because of both inflation and new or expanded services offered by the University.

But that’s not to say these fee proposals don’t pose a few concerns.

For example, the proposed $18.25 increase in the student dining debt fee is questionable.

Students who choose to opt out of meal plans shouldn’t have to bear the burden of Carolina Dining Services inefficiencies or dining hall improvements.

But not all student fee increases are bad. In contrast to the General Assembly’s student tax on all UNC-system schools, these fees do, in fact, directly benefit students.

For instance, some of the $4 increase in the campus recreation fee will help fund salaries for student employees and sport clubs.

And unlike an out-of-state tuition hike, the fees are fairly and equally applied to all.

This $85 hike in student fees is in line with fee increases from years before. In particular, the past two years have seen increases of just less than 4 percent. And student fees have risen almost $400 over the past seven years.

While many of these fees are reasonable, students shouldn’t simply just pay the fees without first being able to pay attention to how their money is being spent.