Interactive Theatre Carolina uses theater to discuss health issues

Crowd interaction leads to solutions

Only one theater group on campus allows students to combine a passion for health and social justice issues, acting and even improvisation.

Interactive Theatre Carolina, a group that promotes these issues, kicks off its third year with its last round of auditions from 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. today on the third floor of Campus Health Services.

Part of Counseling and Wellness Services, the group has about 20 members.

The group has 12 scripts to choose from that cover topics such as race relations, sexual assault and body image.

This year the group has added a new scene highlighting the issues of depression and suicide.

Their typical performances consist of three parts, beginning with a scripted scene in which the characters experience a conflict.

The second portion provides the audience with the opportunity to become part of the action by asking the performers questions while they are still in character.

“The audience is an integral and essential part of the performance,” said Ben Saypol, program coordinator for Interactive Theatre Carolina.

Finally, a post-performance conversation wraps things up as the performers, audience and facilitators discuss the issue at hand. Audience members also can suggest solutions to the conflict.

“The response is unexpected but in a good way,” said Yorick de Visser, a senior dramatic art major and member of the group.

The group performs many times throughout the year at a wide variety of locations on and around campus, from classrooms to chapter meetings in Greek houses.

From a performer’s perspective, the experience can be extremely rewarding.

“It’s the best of both worlds because it combines acting with actual purpose behind it,” said Reema Khrais, a sophomore and member of the group.

Some performers expressed greater interest in the latter two sections of the productions.

“Ultimately what really gets me is when we do the Q & A,” de Visser said. “You’re being confronted with your character and feel real emotions that come with that.”

De Visser said the characters’ ideas and actions often push performers beyond their average acting range.

Khrais said the post-performance conversation is the most interesting, as it allows people to talk about living with these conflicts.

Though the group is not very old, it is gaining a steady audience and expanding its performance material.

After accumulating 4,500 audience members during last year’s 37 performances, the group aims to draw even larger audiences this year.

A new addition to the group’s lineup, Interactive Theatre Workshops, allows other organizations to request facilitators from the group to lead them in performance exercises that address a pertinent issue.

Facilitators will work through some of the same issues with groups that they cover in their traditional format, including social justice and wellness.

Ultimately the group hopes to spread its messages to the campus community and increase its scope.

“We just want to build on the success,” Saypol said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.