Keep it artsy: The University and Chapel Hill should ?nd a way to keep the Varsity Theater an arts venue

The closing of the Varsity Theater on Franklin Street this summer was a devastating blow to the Chapel Hill community.

But hopefully, this vacancy will only be temporary.

While it’s wonderful to see businesses moving back to Franklin Street and the town’s renewed commitment to fostering economic development, it’s hard to believe we can’t support a main street movie theater.

And it’s so unfortunate that two of the three independent movie theaters in Chapel Hill have closed within the past five years.

It’s important to have an independent movie theater close to campus for a variety of reasons.

While free movies are offered on campus through the Carolina Union Activities Board in the student union, there is little choice to see non-blockbuster films. Also, a One Card is necessary for admittance, meaning town residents cannot attend.

And like it or not, Chapel Hill prides itself on being an eclectic community a step or two off the beaten path; one where the mainstream and the unusual walk hand in hand.

An independent movie theater, accessible to students living on campus and town residents, is essential to Chapel Hill’s unique feel.

As senior Giovanna Allegretti put it, “Franklin Street has to be more than sports memorabilia and alcohol. Otherwise, downtown Chapel Hill is just a kitschy tour destination.”

But having a movie theater on Franklin Street is not solely about image. Moviegoers bring in the bucks for neighboring businesses. And the Varsity used to contribute to the lively economic environment downtown.

Several solutions to the problem have already been proposed. One notable solution is a community arts center. Local filmmakers and musicians could use the space to showcase their works. Others have called for a nonprofit movie theater.

And though no one has yet stepped up to the plate, entrepreneur or film groups on campus could look at this as a tremendous collaborative opportunity to create a student-run theater.

Whatever the alternative, a new addition to the Chapel Hill theater scene is a must to maintain its college-town vibe.