Lasting friendships can be made outside Greek life

Mike Collins truly missed the UNC college experience, not to mention the general college experience (“Column missed the point of Greek life on campus,” Aug. 31). College friendships are made on two individuals’ accord, not because a Greek system exists. I agree with Collins that the Greek system offers an opportunity to network and make contacts; however, so do many other prominent organizations on campus.

I am involved with Carolina Kickoff, a group of 40 counselors who bond throughout the year to put on an awesome 3-day crash course for 175 first-year students in August, and we are a family. Not only are we a family of current students, but also of alumni that extends back 62 years.

I live with three counselors now and we are like brothers, and I can guarantee Collins that I will keep up with them in 35 years.

While it’s cliché, Collins did get something right. It is about the relationships, but those relationships exist outside of Greek life, too. I am “unaffiliated,” but have plenty of friends who are Greek as well as those who are not Greek. The Greek system serves its purpose for those who are interested in being involved with the Greek culture, but fraternities and sororities alone do not create relationships. People create relationships, not a system.

Reid Braswell
Senior
Political Science