Local performing arts reduce student prices

Diverse seasons offer variety of artists

Local productions attract students
Local productions attract students

Several theater and performance groups on and around campus are hoping to attract students to their shows though discounted and free ticket packages.

Carolina Performing Arts, PlayMakers Repertory Company, Lab! Theatre and Duke Performances offer an array of discounts through single ticket prices and package deals.

“Having discounts for students is something we feel is important,” said Connie Mahan, director of marketing and press for PlayMakers. “The group has sold more tickets this year than at the same time last year.”

PlayMakers receives funding from student fees, but that does not go toward offsetting the cost of discounted student tickets, Mahan said.

This season, the performance groups cater to many different interests with a diversity of artists.

One of the highest-profile acts will be Ravi and Anoushka Shankar, who are famed for bringing Indian style into Western music. They will perform in October as part of the Carolina Performing Arts season.

CPA has an overall global theme for the year but still includes the traditional Nutcracker show in December.

Lab! shows are free to students and community members. The group has two shows every semester.

“We choose to have free shows to enrich the community. We want to provide an experience that people don’t experience otherwise,” said Lab! producer Sarah Berk.

PlayMakers offers full stage shows and smaller shows as part of the PRC2 series.

Duke Performances offer discounts to all area college students with valid student identification.

The box office has sold more than 100 preseason college discounted tickets this year, said Ken Rumble, director of marketing.

“Ticket sales across the board have gone up significantly. Last fall the economic situation was more recent, where as now people are adjusting to that to some degree,” he said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.