Prominent saxophonist jazzes up UNC

Original improv music performed

As a teenager he played saxophone amongst famous musicians such as Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk in Harlem. Now, Sonny Rollins is one of the last living musicians of the golden age in American jazz.

A famous tenor saxophonist, Rollins will play tonight in Memorial Hall as part of the Carolina Performing Arts season.

James Ketch, the director of jazz studies at UNC and the introductory speaker for the concert, said that Rollins is one of the greats.

“His fearless manner of improvising ­— of playing ‘in the moment’ — avoiding any references to clichés, has earned him a place of high respect among fellow artists, critics and aficionados,” Ketch said.

Rollins is famous for his improvisational jazz, or playing without preparation. Over a repeating cycle of chord changes, the artist creates spontaneous melodies.

“He lives for the ‘dance of improvising,’” Ketch said. “He freely jumps off the musical cliff with less of a safety net below him than perhaps any other living artist.”

Ketch said the audience should pay attention to interactions between Rollins, his drummer and his pianist to better understand the artist’s technique.

“Jazz music is a conversational dialogue where constant negotiations are underway with the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and emotional landscape,” he said.

Many of Rollins’ compositions have been recorded hundreds of times by various artists.

Despite the vast proliferation of his work, the music he plays tonight will likely have an original twist, because so much of his music involves improvisation.

And the concert has something to offer everyone, not just those who understand all the nuances of jazz music.

Director of Carolina Performing Arts Emil Kang said he expects the performance to be a great introduction for those unfamiliar with jazz, by an artist who really changed the landscape of the genre.

“He’s very much one of these guys that performs for audiences,” Kang said. “Every show, every season is completely different from one another.”

Although fame came early for Rollins, he has been celebrated in recent history. Rollins has received two Grammys in the past decade, along with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in 2004. Rollins was also instated into the Academy of Achievement in 2006.

For UNC, this is a rare opportunity to see one of America’s last living jazz legends, Kang said.

“He is 79 years old and it’s, for us, an honor to have him come visit,” he said.

Rollins also performed at UNC in 2001.

“For our community to have a chance to hear him again, as we don’t know how much longer he’ll be around, is going to be a great honor,” Kang said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.