Rain on our parade: Jones’ administration should host an exciting and inclusive parade or not at all

Student Body President Jasmin Jones is moving forward with plans to revive UNC’s Homecoming parade as a way to showcase school spirit.

But with time and budget restraints, the proposed parade is shaping up to be modest at best. With only an hour for the parade to start and finish and a limited amount of money, no floats will be featured and some student groups will inevitably get left out.

Reinstating a comprehensive Homecoming parade is impractical in a time of budget cuts.

The concept of such a parade is commendable, as it could bring student groups, Greeks, alumni and fans together in a celebratory fashion. But the parade will fail to be all-inclusive since neither enough money nor time exists to include all willing participants.

Homecoming traditions like the Bell Tower Climb and Old Well Walk will already be held on campus so no void needs to be filled by a lackluster march down Franklin

Street.

Jones first expressed interest for a “Greek Homecoming Parade” in her platform, and the idea has grown into a collaborative effort between the executive branch of student government, the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership and different campus and local organizations.

Only an estimated 70 student organizations will get to be featured in the parade due in part to time restrictions. The Bell Tower Climb traditionally begins two hours before kickoff, so any parade would have to end 2.5 hours before the football game.

Groups also will likely have to go through an application process to determine whether or not they get a spot — not on a traditional parade float, but instead in a car which they can decorate if they so choose. Floats were deemed too expensive.

Hardly a Homecoming parade.

If the Jones administration is unable to find funding and time for a bona fide Homecoming parade, then this is not the year to revive it.