Senior booted from Africa

UNC kicks student out of study abroad

Senior Alyssa Valdez expected to spend this semester in Cape Town, South Africa, as part of an honors study abroad program. But before classes started, she was on a plane home.

Less than three weeks after arriving, UNC administrators withdrew her from the program, citing concerns about excessive drinking and allowing a man to spend the night in the group’s house.

UNC officials maintain that the incident was handled according to policy.

“It’s absurd,” Valdez said. “It’s completely against how a public university should treat its students, especially one as highly regarded as UNC.”

Valdez said a Sept. 9 e-mail notified her she was dismissed from the program and listed the charges that led to the decision. She responded to the charges but said a Sept. 11 e-mail had even more accusations.

Valdez said Margaret Lee, an associate professor of African and African-American studies who teaches in South Africa, abruptly woke her up the next morning.

“She said ‘You’ve been dismissed. Get out immediately or I will take police action,’” Valdez said.

Although she admitted to drinking on the night in question, Valdez, 21, denied having anything to do with the man who spent the night in the study abroad house.

Lee and other members of the Study Abroad Office declined to comment, in deference to a statement from the University.

“Our preliminary review of the facts about this situation indicates that this matter was handled appropriately,” said Karen Moon, a University spokeswoman.

UNC policy states that professors or the Honors Program can suspend or remove a student from the study abroad program only in cases of “egregious behavior that poses a threat of disruption of the academic process.”

Valdez said although Lee offered to take her to the airport when she was removed from the program, she declined the offer because she hadn’t had a chance to speak to her parents.

Valdez knew a family in Cape Town who allowed her to stay with them until she could make travel arrangements with her family.

“My bags were on the street when they came to get me,” Valdez said. “My parents didn’t even know the family I was staying with.”

Her father, Luis Valdez, said he tried to call emergency contacts when he hadn’t heard from her, but when no one responded, he e-mailed UNC-system President Erskine Bowles.

“I Googled UNC leadership so I could get someone of importance,” he said. “I would’ve done a lot more if I didn’t know where she was.”

Valdez and her family are planning to meet with UNC officials to discuss the situation later this week. She trying to enroll in classes, and said she would seek an internship if classes aren’t available.