So you’re thinking about going to graduate school

UCS will host a panel series for students considering law, business or medical school at UNC.

UNC School of Law
UNC School of Law

Medical school

4 p.m. Oct. 13, 239B Hanes Hall

Representatives of UNC’s School of Medicine admissions department said the school seeks applicants whose personal goals mirror its own.

The school requires applicants to submit MCAT scores and recommendation letters and undergo an interview process.

The school typically receives about 4,000 applications for 160 spots.

The applications are submitted to the American Medical College Application Service. Additional application materials are sent to those who qualify for an interview.

Admissions deadlines include an Aug. 1 early decision deadline and a Nov. 15 deadline for regular applications.

The admissions office seeks potential applicants who have not only shown good test scores, but also perseverance in overcoming adversity in their lives and a commitment to medicine in North Carolina.

Dr. Robert Bashford, dean of admissions, said the school looks for applicants who represent all parts of the state.

“We want a class that looks like the state” said Bashford.

The school does accept out-of-state applications, but typically only 20 applicants are taken each year.

The economy hasn’t affected the number of applications, but the number of declinations — accepted students declining  to attend the school — has declined.

Bashford credited this to the lower admission price of the UNC medical school relative to others.

Business school

4 p.m. Oct. 20, 239B Hanes Hall

The Kenan-Flagler Business School admissions department says it is focused on an applicant’s real-world experience.

Applicants must have a minimum of two years working experience, but most applicants have an average of five.

They are also required to submit GMAT scores, six essays and two recommendations, and they must have an interview.

The admissions process consists of four rounds. The first, the early action deadline on Oct. 23, allows applicants to know their decision by Dec. 14. This process is non-binding, but the deposit is $2,500, rather than the normal $1,000.

The remaining three deadlines are Dec. 4, Jan. 8 and March 19.

Sherry Wallace, director of admissions for the MBA program, said applicants don’t have to have a business degree or business-related work experience.

She said that the admissions department looks for applicants with leadership and academic excellence but that success in the real world is equally important.

New to the application process is the reduction of interviews to invitation-only. Wallace said it helps avoid using time and energy to interview unqualified applicants.

Also new is the addition of student-read essays. Current second-year MBA students read one of the required essays, which adds a fresh perspective, Wallace said.

She said budget cuts haven’t affected admissions staff or recruiting, but there has been a decline in applications in the past year. Even so, the school enrolled their largest class this past year.

Law school

4 p.m. Oct. 27, 239B Hanes Hall

Each year 3,000 applicants apply for 250 spots in the UNC School of Law. The application process consists of various requirements as well as personal qualities the school looks for in applicants.

The school requires applicants to provide LSAT scores, a personal statement, a resume and two to three letters of recommendation.

The application fee is $70, but Peace Corps and Teach For America students and applicants with financial hardship can apply to have the fee waived.

The admissions office begins taking applications Oct. 1. The deadline is March 1. Applicants will be informed of the school’s decision  by May 1.

Jennifer Kott, director of admissions for the law school, said the admissions department is looking for gifted, well-rounded students who are involved in their communities.

She explained that the best way to demonstrate personal qualities is through the personal statement. The three- to five-page personal statement asks applicants to series of questions that show an applicant’s qualities and his or her goals during their time in the law school and after..

“It’s not just about the numbers” Kott explained.

Kott said that despite the current economic downturn, applications to the law school have not dropped.  But the admissions department has re-evaluated recruiting events, determining which would be best to reach out to potential applicants.