Sororities beckon to new members

Thursday marked the official start of rush for sororities that are part of UNC’s Panhellenic Council.

For college women who have answered the call of the goddesses and decided to go Greek, today is a big day.

Today marks the kickoff of Panhellenic recruitment week, commonly known as “rush,” a four-round process spread out over five days where aspiring sorority members are placed in organizations.

During the process, potential members will visit UNC’s 10 Panhellenic sororities and have the opportunity to talk to current members. Through a process of mutual selection, potential members work with sororities to choose the house and group that best fits them.

For many women, this means the possibility of finding more than a new residence at Carolina.

Las Vegas native Whitney Cox said she is excited about finding her place at Carolina. With red hair and freckles, the freshman doesn’t fit the stereotype of a Southern sorority member, but she said she’s not nervous.

“I think the selection process is based more on personality,” Cox said. “Sure, there’s the obvious fear of rejection, but I like that throughout the process, the girls and the sororities have a say in where they join.”

Amid the stress of memorizing faces and names and trying to impress future sorority members, UNC’s Panhellenic Council encourages women to remember to be themselves.

Casey Cowan, vice president for recruitment, stands by the advice she received when she was rushing: Ignore the rumors and stay true to yourself.

She also advised potential members not to panic but to approach the recruitment process as if they’re making new friends.

“You should have an open mind. If you act like yourself, you’ll end up in a house that’s more fitting for you,” she said.

Cowan compared the process to applying for college: You may not get your first choice, but you will end up at the best fit.

The Panhellenic Council stresses the rules of recruitment — particularly the “no booze, no boys” rule. Members and potential members must abstain from drinking alcohol and socializing with the opposite sex during the recruitment process. The idea is to keep potential members focused on the sorority system.

“We don’t want the girls to feel pressured, and the rules create a more relaxed environment,” Cowan said.

In light of an outbreak of the H1N1 virus, the council recommends that sick potential members contact their recruitment councilors as soon as possible to make sure they don’t get left out of the process.

Despite the nervous energy surrounding rush week, potential members have tried to remain positive.

“I look at it as a way to make my best friends and find sisters for life,” said freshman Melanie Williams.

Rush day by day

Friday - Round One - Open House

4 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Friday is the longest day of rush week. Potential members will spend 20 minutes at all ten chapter houses and have the opportunity to relax, socialize and have fun.

Dress suggestions: short sleeves, casual shorts, pants, skirts, sandals or tennis shoes.

Sunday - Round Two - Skit

1 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

Sunday will begin with a meeting with a recruitment counselor to receive individual schedules detailing which sororities each potential member will visit. Potential

members will visit up to seven chapters for 30 minutes to watch skits and learn important information about philanthropy projects, special events and other activities.

Monday - Round Three - Philanthropy

3 p.m. to 8 p.m.

During round three, potential members will visit up to five chapters for 45 minutes. Each chapter will provide a tour and refreshments, and potential members will complete a philanthropy project.

Dress suggestions: sundress, casual dress, skirts, sandals or dress shoes.

Wednesday - Round Four - Preference Night

6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Potential members will visit up to three chapters Wednesday night. Each event is 45 minutes long. During these events, chapters will host special ceremonies and listen to sorority members share their feelings about their sorority and their favorite memories. Rush chairwomen said this night is important for helping potential members decide where they will fit in the best.

Dress suggestions: dress or formal attire, sandals or dress shoes.

Thursday - Bid Day

6 p.m.

In an emotional ceremony in the Coker Arboretum, potential members receive their formal invitation to one sorority. They then spend the evening at that sorority’s house getting to know the members.

How bid lists work:

UNC’s Panhellenic Council uses “bid lists” to help narrow down the pool of potential members. After each round, potential

members work with counselors to make a list of sororities they would like to continue visiting. Sororities also narrow down the pool of potential members.

Round One: Potential members visit all 10 sororities.

Round Two: Potential members list up to seven chapters and visit the ones that extend an invitation.

Round Three: The list-making process is repeated and potential members visit up to five houses.

Round Four
: Potential members visit up to three houses.

Casey Cowan, vice president for recruitment, stressed that women should follow recruitment rules and go to every house that extends an invitation. Not following the rules can result in losing the bid.