TOMS Chief Shoe-Giver Blake Mycoskie speaks at UNC

Blake Mycoskie speaks at UNC
Blake Mycoskie speaks at UNC

For a man who ran his own student laundry service in college, started his own technology company and competed on the “Amazing Race,” fashion was foreign territory — especially shoes.

“I didn’t know anything about retail or fashion,” said Blake Mycoskie, founder and “chief shoe- giver” of TOMS Shoes, in a speech Wednesday.

He explained to an overflowing Gerrard Hall that he was inspired to start up his company to help impoverished children while in Argentina.

The idea for TOMS Shoes was sparked by a conversation with American volunteers in a Buenos Aires cafe.

They told him they were involved in a shoe drive, and soon afterward, he found himself in a little van with strangers carrying boxes of slightly-used shoes.

“I saw these volunteers, and they had such a passion,” he said. “I was like, man, I want to help these people out.”

Instead of starting a charity, Mycoskie decided to start a for-profit company that gives a pair of shoes away for every pair sold.

Mycoskie initially struggled to sell his shoes at small boutiques. After consulting with his female friends, he dragged duffel bags of TOMS into girly boutiques.

Since then, his shoes have been featured in Vogue, the L.A. Times, and a series of AT&T commercials. They have been worn by Scarlett Johansson, Keira Knightley and the band Hanson.

Mycoskie said Hanson was his favorite of the company’s celebrity fans. While working with the band in a remote African village, he said they would sit around playing “Mmm Bop.”

Freshman Jessica Springer said she was impressed with the company’s “One for One” concept that emphasizes giving shoes away.

“It’s sort of a ‘no-no’ in business — so it’s amazing he took that risk and is helping people all over the world,” she said.

Helene Kirschke-Schwartz, a freshmen who paints her own pairs of the shoes, said she was inspired to buy more TOMS after visiting Ghana last summer.

“I had one pair when I went to Africa,” she said. “And when I came back, I bought five more.”

Shannon Ward of Solteria, a clothing store in Elon, became a TOMS retailer in March.

“Demand’s high,” he said. “We keep a wait list.”

Although both are high sellers, women’s TOMS shoes have outsold the men’s styles at Solteria, Ward said.

There is a screening of “For Tomorrow,” the TOMS shoes documentary, at 7 p.m. on Sept. 29 in Gardner Hall, room 105.

Mycoskie concluded by challenging students to stand out in their own ways.

“At this stage in your life, anything is possible,” he said.

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.