Tracing swine ?u is difficult

Rules change along with CDC advice

As the University attempts to cope with a spreading H1N1 virus and considers new rules on how to prevent it, officials are finding that tracing the virus is more difficult than they thought.

While UNC recorded its first case on May 29, the exact number of infected persons to date remains a mystery even to Campus Health Services officials.

“Nobody would be able to say with certainty because employees have different health care providers, and the way people are being tested and treated kept changing throughout the summer,” said Mike McFarland, UNC spokesman.

The American College Health Association reported 608 new cases of influenza-like illnesses at North Carolina institutions of higher education participating in its surveillance network from Aug. 29 to Sept. 4.

Rules and regulations

Since the beginning of the semester, the University’s original plan for managing the outbreak has changed in tandem with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention requirements, said Carol Kozel, director of nursing at Campus Health Services.

“They have now identified that the time period can be compressed,” she said.

Kozel added that the time students must be isolated after exhibiting flu symptoms has been reduced from seven days to 24 hours after their fever breaks.

Identifying the virus is difficult because Campus Health cannot test specifically for H1N1.

‘Rampant and contagious’

Senior Stephanie Ray said she tested positive for the H1N1 virus after visiting Chapel Hill Urgent Care on Sept. 1.

With a fever of 103 degrees along with body aches and chills, she was told she could return to classes two days later. But her fever did not subside for almost a week.

“I think a lot of people aren’t going to the doctor because, especially in my sorority, a lot of people have fevers and just don’t feel good,” said Ray, a member of Phi Mu sorority. “And it may not be the swine flu, but it may be.”

Junior Andrea Ramos, diagnosed with H1N1 about a month ago, said she believed the cases are going to continue as it gets colder.

“It’s so rampant and contagious,” Ramos said. As a summer employee at UNC, Ramos was diagnosed at an off-campus walk-in clinic.

Ray said most professors have been understanding about students missing class.

“They were super nice and said not to worry about missing,” she said. “They said they wouldn’t count any of it against me, but I’d be responsible for the work once I came back.”

Students also have different opinions about how the University is dealing with the outbreak.

“I think they’re under-representing the problem,” Ray said. “I feel like there’s a lot more they could be doing to keep people from going to class and spreading it, because obviously we’re dedicated students and don’t want to miss class.”

Ramos disagreed, saying the issue is being over-publicized. “It’s an issue because it causes people to panic and they get stressed out, which weakens their immune system and makes them more susceptible,” she said.