Tutor for the community: Habitat for Humanity program an important asset

A joint effort by the Hillsborough Police Department and UNC Habitat for Humanity offers a great way for University students to help in the community through tutoring.

The tutoring sessions are conducted by UNC students and are available to all Orange County grade-school students wanting to attend.

Unfortunately, the program only runs twice a week, on Mondays and Tuesdays, from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., and registration is limited to about 15 students per session.

“Basing it off of our numbers last year, we could definitely extend to more days if we had enough volunteers,” said Sadie Hasbrouck, the Habitat tutoring chairwoman.

Students who have an interest in tutoring or who simply want to get involved in community-based programs should look at this as a possibility.

Not only would students get the chance to help in a wonderful program, but they would also be able to add something strong to their resume.

Even if a student is not considering teaching as a career, volunteer work always reflects positively on an individual’s college experience.

Additionally, the program is local.

The sessions take place at the Community Policing Substation at 501 Rainey Ave., which means that tutors don’t have to travel outside the county to take part.

But Habitat’s biggest need for this tutoring program is drivers. Without a group van, the group needs volunteer drivers to ferry the tutors back and forth.

If you want to tutor and drive, all the better.

Monday sessions will be for students from kindergarten to fifth grade, while Tuesday sessions will be for sixth to twelfth graders.

This is a great chance for students of the University to get involved in the community.

To get involved, contact Sadie Hasbrouck at habitattutoring@gmail.com