When Justin Wilcox wrote his column, (“Don’t be afraid to look good, ladies”, Sept. 18) it was obvious that he has never tried to walk in heels all day on campus. Let me tell you something, Justin: It doesn’t matter how well your heels fit, you will still have blisters and sore feet at the end of the day (and, in all likelihood, a broken ankle).

Furthermore, where is this idea of high heels and makeup as beautiful coming from?

Since when do women have to strut around in impractical shoes and cover their faces to be attractive?

Society, and apparently Mr. Wilcox, both perpetuate this chauvinistic idea of women as beautiful only if they are flawless and fit into a specific mold. Women are amazing just by being themselves; stop trying to define an impossible standard of beauty!

Women at UNC already have enough to worry about with schoolwork, jobs, MCATs and more, without also trying to impress anyone during the week.

That doesn’t mean we can’t dress up when we feel like it, but we don’t need anyone to tell us how we look good. And tripping in our high heels and winding up in a neck brace doesn’t sound like anyone’s idea of a good time.

Andromeda B. Cook
Sophomore
Biology, Pharmacy