Volleyball looks to bench as team starts home play

Depth is key to the Tar Heels’ season

Dry-erase markers squeaked across a whiteboard in the Smith Center as the North Carolina volleyball team prepared for its first home match of the season.

Managers were tracking the action on the court, counting kills, errors and attempts by UNC hitters.

When coach Joe Sagula brought the practice to a halt, the results were tabulated, and it wasn’t one of UNC’s leaders in kills that came out on top.

Senior outside hitter Megan Owens won the contest with two kills in seven attempts. Three other outside hitters have more kills on the season than Owens, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t battling for one of the two starting spots at that position.

“So today I won the drill,” Owens said. “Tomorrow my goal is again to win the drill. My goal every day is to be the hardest worker and to be the one pushing myself the hardest.”

Two weeks into the season, Owens is one of 10 Tar Heel hitters who have already seen action, and they’re all competing to be on the court in the next match.

Senior middle blocker Heather Brooks said every position has multiple players competing for playing time.

“Having them behind you or out there in front of you and on the court playing really pushes you in your position,” Brooks said.

Sagula doesn’t name starters but puts the first team on the court every day of practice. That team changes during practice as players are swapped, giving everyone a chance to compete.

“It’s a day-by-day, week-by-week situation,” Owens said. “No spot is set in stone and everybody has an opportunity to always win a starting spot.”

Sagula and his coaching staff are hoping that the competitive drive will propel the team to a repeat as ACC champions.

The Tar Heels are carrying an 18-player roster this season, up from 16 players a year ago.

Owens said she feels the need to push herself because of the depth.

“If you have a bad day, there are five other people at my position, anyway, who are having better days,” Owens said.

A big reason for the expanded roster is a five-player freshman class. Four of those freshmen have already played this season.

“They’re going after it,” Sagula said of the freshmen. “They’re challenging our veterans and all in a really healthy way.”

Tonight will be an indicator of the team’s chances of repeating as ACC champions when UNC takes on Tennessee, a team that received votes in the latest national poll.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.