I strongly disagree that Tuesday night’s abortion debate was the “Best Abortion Discussion Ever,” as Carolina Students for Life advertised the event.

I found it highly disappointing, although not the worst I’ve heard. What frustrated me the most was its central focus on the circular argument of fetus viability. This is not the most important issue, and any abortion discussion thus framed will get us nowhere. Both sides failed to address adequately why women seek out abortions in the first place.

For many women, particularly poor women of color, the choice to get an abortion is often not a “choice,” but a necessity for survival.

Furthermore, on both sides, there is still an unfair stigma attached to women who don’t feel guilty for getting abortions, but rather, immense relief.

If the framework doesn’t come from a social justice perspective, then debates remain stuck on viable life and not on how to promote racial, gender, and socioeconomic equality (and therefore reduce abortions).

We need to understand the root of the controversy before tackling the philosophical questions. As a final comment, I am outraged my student fees went to fund this event. I had a much more productive abortion discussion today with a minister in Lenoir, for free.

Kalli Smith
Junior
Spanish, Women’s Studies