Calling all juniors! The executive committee of the Eve Carson Scholarship will be holding information sessions at 7 p.m. today and Wed., Oct. 28, in Bingham 103.

The selection committee, composed of UNC students, faculty and administrators, seeks individuals who have developed a passion, especially in the areas of leadership, academics and social justice during their time at UNC. Juniors with at least a 3.0 GPA are eligible to apply, with the exception of those already receiving a full merit-based scholarship.

Applications are available at www.unc.edu/eve. They are due on Nov. 24, 2009, at 5 p.m. The award will contribute to tuition expenses for the recipient’s senior year in addition to funding a summer experience.

Students are required to answer four questions and provide recommendations from both a professor and a UNC classmate. Additional materials will be required of the finalists.

Last year’s recipient, Elinor Benami, is majoring in economics and international studies. She was selected for her contributions to UNC and her passion for the environment.

The scholarship enabled Elinor to travel to the Middle East this summer and intern with the Arava Institute for Environmental Studies. The Institute focuses on transboundary research and peace building.

Elinor helped to co-develop a guide for rainwater harvesting, contributed to a socioeconomic baseline report for the Arava Valley and aided in grant proposal preparation and review.

Ellen Regan
Eve Carson Scholarship Publicity Chair