For more than 20 years, I was privileged to call UNC my professional home. I proudly told anyone who asked that I was part of the faculty of one of America’s top universities.

Now, if asked, I might add the disclaimer, “But that was before the sports tail so blatantly wagged the University dog.”

Thursday night’s football game, accommodating a television broadcast calendar, and the resulting shabby treatment of UNC employees, is an example of misplaced values.

Employees had to leave the campus by 3 p.m. but were told that the state would require them to make up the lost time or run the risk of losing pay.

Even UNC Hospitals operating rooms closed at 3 p.m. last Thursday. God help those who have the audacity to become acutely ill or injured during the Sacred Hours.

Because of budget cuts, fewer people are already being asked to do more work for no more reward.

This is insult added to injury. It says that the University will disrupt their schedules, but then expect them to make up the time, just to keep the athletics department and fans happy.

The Rams Club should pick up the tab for lost time on Thursday and let the employees have the time with no penalty whatsoever. It seems the least they could do.

This business is an embarrassment.

Charles Murphy
Professor Emeritus Anesthesiology