Desai chosen to play at UNC

Former Clef back for Homecoming

Anoop Desai, former “American Idol” contestant and UNC Clef Hanger, will perform at 8 p.m. Nov. 8 at Memorial Hall as a second Homecoming act, organizers confirmed Wednesday.

“I think this will be real cool,” Desai said.

“I was planning on coming back anyway since the ‘Idol’ tour didn’t come through the Chapel Hill-Raleigh area.”

Hip-hop artist Fabolous will perform Sunday as the first Homecoming concert.

The concerts are sponsored and chosen by a committee from the Carolina Union Activities Board and Carolina Athletic Association.

Desai approached UNC about performing, following his concert at the 2009 N.C. State Fair.

Since his time on “American Idol,” Desai said he has been working on his musical career.

“I’m shopping for a record deal right now, doing some writing, finding management,” he said.

“Working to complete my dream of being a pop singer.”

Homecoming Director Courtney Brown said she was satisfied with the decision to bring Desai.

“We expect it will sell out. He’s so popular, and there was a high attendance rate for his performance at the State Fair,” she said.

Memorial Hall is a familiar setting for Desai, who performed there twice a year with the UNC Clef Hangers.

“Anoop is no stranger to Memorial Hall. He had a lot of big moments there as a Clef Hanger,” said current Clef Andrew Simpson.

“It’s always extremely exciting to step up there on stage in front of 1,500 people.”

This and the announcement of Fabolous’ performance came as an end to an exhaustive search for Homecoming performances.

CUAB and CAA had a total budget of $65,000 for the concerts. The first artists they approached, Girl Talk and Kid Cudi, rejected the offers.

“It’s unusual that two acts were pursued, with offers made, and both acts turned us down at the last minute,” said Don Luse, director of the Carolina Union, who helps execute contracts.

“Collectively the two shows are significantly less than what was paid last year.”

The 2008 Homecoming concert featured The Avett Brothers and Gym Class Heroes for $70,000.

The contract containing specific costs for each performer was withheld due to confidentiality.

Though artist confirmation came late this year, Luse said it was not for lack of effort.

“You can have a great advertisement plan or communication with the DTH, but you can’t convince someone to buy tickets if they don’t know the act,” Luse said.

“Students worked hard, beating the bushes for the acts we got this year.”

Contact the Arts Editor at artsdesk@unc.edu.