Doctors make calls to build support for health reform

Jimmy Wallace,joined otherhealth care professionals for a calling campaign for Obama's health care reform.DTH/Katherine Vance

Bluetooth devices, iPhone’s and all things cellular were in use as about 15 doctors and medical students called around the community to rouse support for President Barack Obama’s health care reform.

The phone bank at Jessee’s Coffee & Bar in Carrboro was organized by Dr. Stephen Gamboa, clinical instructor at UNC School of Medicine, along with Organizing for America, the local chapter of the Obama-affiliated volunteer campaign.

Gamboa organized the event after talking to many UNC doctors and medical students who he said are passionate about health care reform and wanted to get involved.

Earlier this month, Gamboa traveled to the White House with doctors from across the country to show support for the health care reform.

“Are physicians happy with the system as it is now?” he asked. “The answer is a definitive no.”

Gamboa said medical professionals always advocate for patients and that phone banking is the best method for now.

Diane Robertson, regional field director for Organizing for America, said the event occurred simultaneously at various locations across the country. The goal was 100,000 calls.

“We’ve already made over 212,000 calls today,” she said halfway through the event.

Doctors and students mostly called Obama supporters Tuesday night because they are more likely to call U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan, D-N.C., and convince her to vote for the reform, she said.

The volunteers kept a running tally of who they called.

“We’re mailing in the records to (U.S. Sen. Richard) Burr, (U.S. Rep. David) Price and Hagan so they’ll realize how organized we are,” Robertson said.

April Edwards, a second-year medical student, said they encouraged people to send legislators postcards and letters, not e-mails, because the former usually have more of an impact.

“If people are informed, most agree about some basic principles ­— health care is a right, and it is unacceptable that people must break the bank over affording it,” Edwards said.

Jessica Lin, an infectious disease physician at UNC Hospitals, said she has supported health care reform since entering medical school.

“This is something we should do as a fundamental, basic service to our citizens, considering how rich a country we are,” Lin said.

Lin said that she is disappointed with the compromise in the legislation and that Republicans are too focused on blocking the Democrats than affecting change.

She said she favors government-run health care and thinks there is still room for improvement in Obama’s proposal.

“I feel like if we get something passed, we can work on it from there,” Lin said.

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.