Five prestigious alumni receive University Day awards

Five UNC alumni were presented with Distinguished Alumna and Alumnus Awards on Monday at the University Day convocation ceremonies.

Each was recognized for significant contributions to their respective fields. The awards were first presented in 1971.

Walter Edward Hussman Jr.
Hussman is a newspaper publisher and the head of WEHCO Media Inc., a company based in Little Rock, Ark., that runs several newspapers and cable television companies across five states. Hussman has worked to improve public education in Little Rock and at UNC.

Santiago Gangotena
Gangotena founded the first private university in Ecuador in 1987 with the mission of improving the country’s education through the study of liberal arts. In 1995, Gangotena founded a private K-12 school that works closely with the university to educate students with an emphasis on the diversity of the Ecuadorian culture.

Janie McLawhorn Fouke
Fouke, a leading expert on biomedical engineering, has researched the causes of respiratory diseases and the effects of environmental pollutants on the pulmonary system. She has also held leadership positions at scientific research institutes and serves on advisory boards for several universities. Fouke’s book, “Engineering Tomorrow,” was awarded the Dexter Prize, a commendation given by the Society for the History of Technology.

William Frederick Little
The late William Little was chairman of UNC’s department of chemistry by age 35 and is credited with setting the department’s standard in teaching. Little supported the development of Research Triangle Park and was active in the development of UNC’s College of Arts and Sciences Foundation. He served in many positions at UNC, including senior vice president for academic affairs.

Mariel Margaret “Mia” Hamm
Hamm was a critical member of the UNC women’s soccer team, leading the Tar Heels to four national championships before graduating in 1994. She went on to win two world championships and two Olympic gold medals with the U.S. women’s soccer team. She also founded the Hamm Foundation, which is dedicated to bone marrow research and helping women’s sports programs.