Football: Spotlight on UNC brings high stakes

North Carolina takes on Florida State Thursday in the first Thursday night home football game in school history. DTH/Andrew Dye

When television cameras start rolling for North Carolina’s first Thursday night home game against Florida State, the University and the football program will have the national spotlight.

What remains to be seen is exactly what they will do with it.

Thursday night’s game provides an opportunity for UNC to either solidify its reputation as a football program or affirm what detractors have said for years.

ESPN’s coverage will extend beyond the game and showcase the town and campus — either picturesque streets or traffic jams, depending on how well the school’s plans work out.

“Thursday night games are an awesome opportunity for a university and the institution, not just the football program,” UNC head coach Butch Davis said. “You get basically a four-hour infomercial where you get to talk about the University of North Carolina.”

The “infomercial” comes just weeks after the athletic department released plans for an ambitious renovation of Kenan Stadium, estimated to cost more than $70 million.

UNC is putting the renovations front and center with a mock suite similar to those that will be in the “Blue Zone” of Kenan Stadium. The athletic department plans to use the stage of a prime-time game to continue to sell the University.

“It’s tremendous recognition, and people want to be a part of that,” athletic director Dick Baddour said of Thursday night’s contest. “It’s a statement about the movement of the program.”

So it’s no surprise there is intense focus on UNC’s performance Thursday, both with regard to the logistical setup and the game itself.

Administrators have taken precautions to minimize logistical problems — but they can’t do anything about what happens on the field.

And Davis and his team know exactly how important this game is.

In 16 matchups with Florida State, UNC has gone 1-14-1. And despite FSU’s 2-4 start to this season, beating the Seminoles would be an important benchmark.

“It’ll be a big step for the program, knowing that we can go out there with the powerhouses of the ACC and even in the nation and actually compete and win games,” said senior defensive end E.J. Wilson. “It’s something we haven’t been able to do here in the last couple of years.”

If the program takes that step, it can pay dividends — especially in the world of recruiting.

Davis drew criticism earlier this season for missing out on several in-state recruits while rival program N.C. State signed three of the top 10 prospects in The Charlotte Observer’s top 25.

But any struggles could well be assuaged by a win Thursday on such a high-profile stage.

“If we can come in and beat a team such as Florida State … and things like that, that’ll help a lot in recruiting,” Wilson said. “Because guys are going to say, ‘Maybe I want to go up there and change it up a little bit and see what UNC has to offer.’”

By the same token, a loss in front of the nation could set the program back.

If North Carolina falters, much of the momentum generated by Davis’ hiring, last year’s bowl game and the proposed renovations could stall — in player and donor recruitment.

But Baddour said the school will not focus on a potential loss.

“It is a game, and it’s not a season,” he said. “It’s an opportunity for a statement game, but I don’t think the whole east-end project is built on having a Thursday night game. I think we could be successful, but, nonetheless, I think it’s a wonderful opportunity.”

For better or for worse, exactly what UNC has to offer will be on full display Thursday night.

Contact the Sports Editor at sports@unc.edu.