Friday January 15th

Football team should focus on winning, not marketing

It appears that the time has come for UNC to refocus the direction of its football program. Enough of the glitter such as smoke from the player tunnel, loud music to encourage crowd participation, large and colorful video screens and talk about stadium expansion and improvements.

We need to focus on football, not the “production” of and “marketing” of the game and program. UNC has become the poster child for football mediocrity. The recruits will come to a successful program and the crowds will follow. It’s that simple.

There is no excuse for a University that produces quality teams in most of our other sports to accept the low performance that we are now experiencing. And yes, we can play better football while maintaining quality “student” athletes and not sacrificing our academic standards.

Let’s play fast, tough and creative football on Saturdays and stop trying to market a program and produce a big colorful show. The crowds and enthusiasm will follow … no smoke and mirrors necessary.

Or else Carolina football will become only a “place holder” sport to bridge us between basketball seasons.

Steven Johnson
UNC ‘79

The Daily Tar Heel for December 7, 2020