Tuesday August 9th

Getting hyped for Skype: Admissions uses students, technology effectively

The admissions department continues to make strides in using technology to more effectively reach prospective students in tough economic times. A recruitment event was recently held at Fredericksburg Academy in Virginia — via Skype. This new strategy is an excellent use of new technology and a great way to save money on recruitment trips in the face of a roughly 10 percent cut in admissions funds. A tech-savvy admissions office gives us an added edge. And the evolution of recruitment hasn’t stopped there. The admissions office still uses in-person visits as a tool, but in a smarter way. In that same vein, student admissions ambassadors should continue to expand their role as advocates of the UNC brand. UNC’s student admissions ambassadors are traveling to regions — rather than all the state’s high schools — to host recruitment events with prospective UNC applicants. This is a great way to connect high school students with UNC’s culture while saving money. Conor Farese, a member of the Admissions Ambassadors executive board, pointed to these regional events as the most efficient allocation of resources to ensure the recruitment of top talent. Prospective students are able to connect with UNC undergraduates on a much more personal level than they could with adult recruitment officers. High school students are undoubtedly more at ease with students who are just a few years older and who do not review their applications. There is no better way to gauge whether Carolina is a good fit than through candid interaction with current students. It’s great to see our admissions department developing creative initiatives to ensure the continued success of our recruitment efforts. UNC consistently reels in top academic talent, and it doesn’t look like the economic recession or budget crisis is going to slow us down.

The Daily Tar Heel Victory Paper for March 7, 2022