Christian Yoder’s column (“Make ‘access’ meaningful,” Sept. 30) yesterday made me cringe.

Some of his “arguments” are so typical to his point-of-view that I didn’t know whether I was reading an independent article or a compilation of all other pro-illegal-immigrant opinion pieces.

According to Yoder, the state “must grant undocumented immigrants in-state tuition status.”

This is just foolish. First, they are not registered residents of the state, the same as out-of-state students. So why should they be granted this privilege over legal residents of the United States? I did not see Yoder pushing for out-of-state students to receive in-state tuition.

I laughed aloud when I read his next argument: “The state needs to adopt this policy simply because access to education is a human right.” Like the stereotypical liberal, he feels as if a luxury like higher education is a “human” right. Do not throw around the phrase “human right” so simplistically.

Your statements are laughable at best and provide no real insight to this topic. Please do not write another column that just plays to the beliefs of all your pro-illegal-immigrant friends.

They are not the ones you need to convince.

Alex Rhodes
Junior
Exercise, Sports Science