Halloween shrinks to ?t town’s vision

Students split on whether to attend

When town leaders said they would restrict Halloween festivities on Franklin Street last year, students didn’t think they could be successful.

But when the crowd was downsized by more than half — from 80,000 to 35,000 — and police cleared the street without a hitch at midnight, efforts to limit the celebration were deemed a success.

Their plan, called Homegrown Halloween, will be implemented for the second time Saturday, with the support of Student Body President Jasmin Jones, Mayor Kevin Foy and police chief Brian Curran.

Police will once again close Franklin Street at midnight. Restaurants and bars will stop allowing new customers in at 1 a.m.

Some students have resigned themselves to the new rules.

“We wouldn’t be successful against such a big group like the businesses,” junior Gavin Rex said.

West End Wine Bar owner Jared Resnick said the celebration started to become less about the community and more about partying. He said the smaller crowd makes for easier traffic in and out of the bar.

“It only affects the businesses in a positive way,” Resnick said.

Town officials announced last week that the ultimate goal was a maximum crowd size of 10,000 to 15,000 — less than the University’s undergraduate population.

Some students are concerned that continuing to restrict a Halloween celebration will change the tradition forever.

“The government is paying attention to the harm done by the students before they pay attention to what the students want,” junior Neil Backus said.

Franklin Street and the nearby business area will be patrolled by 323 police officers from at least eight districts from as far as Durham and Wake counties, said Catherine Lazorko, town spokeswoman. That’s 30 fewer than last year and 73 fewer than in 2007.

Senior Jerel Applewhite said he does not plan to return to Franklin Street this year.

“I showed up at, like, 12 last year thinking there was no way they could shut it down,” he said. “But they did — everyone was gone.”

Steve Woodham, who owns Four Corners and Goodfellows, said he hopes the crowd doesn’t get any smaller than 35,000.

“I like what they are doing, but that is not to say that I eventually want Halloween to be whittled away to nothing,” Woodham said.

Not everyone sees a smaller expected crowd as a downside.

Senior Zach Griffin said last year’s celebration felt no different other than ending earlier.

“With even 35,000 people, when you’re right in the middle of it, not much difference exists.”