Hunting for a solution: Deer population requires a call to arms

Deer hunting. To some, it’s a sport. To others, it’s cruel. And to some towns, it’s a way to control the  deer population. Given the circumstances, urban archery should at least be considered.

With deer roaming Chapel Hill, town residents have taken notice of their presence. And some don’t like the creatures.

Problems with deer range from car crashes to ruined flower beds, and what some people consider a friendly animal neighbor, others think of as a terrible nuisance.

Department of Parks and Recreation director Butch Kisiah said the problem started with town development.

When human homes grow, deer homes shrink.

This is a problem we’ve brought upon ourselves, and now we have to deal with it.

There are a few options available, but Kisiah said only a couple are realistic.

Option one: Residents plant flowers and plants that deer don’t like to eat, thus forcing them away.

Option two: Licensed professionals hunt the deer in a responsible and safe way.

A number of towns in North Carolina allow urban deer hunting with bows and arrows. State law says any urban hunting this season must occur between Jan. 9 and Feb. 13.

That’s the way Chapel Hill should handle it.

Bow hunting can be cruel because when hit by an arrow, deer tend to run for awhile, up to 300 yards, Kisiah said.

In an urban area like Chapel Hill, it’s not hard to imagine problems arising.

But this seems to be a practical solution that will provide real results.

If the deer population remains unchecked, the animals will just cause more problems until their numbers can’t be sustained.

Considering the options, humane and safe hunting of deer is the best way to handle this situation in Chapel Hill.