Jones needs to step up: Student Body President Jasmin Jones has been largely silent on major campus issues this semester

The Greek system’s relationship with UNC has taken some big hits recently, and we have heard from administrators that they are working to mend the splinters between Greeks and the University.

However, Student Body President Jasmin Jones, whose campaign promoted the cultivation of campus unity, has yet to weigh in on the issue.

Monica Matta, Jones’ chief of staff, stated that the Jones administration has not issued a statement because the University has taken a firm stance and they do not want Greeks to feel isolated from the rest of the student body.

Jones and executive branch officers are correct in asserting that in the current state of affairs, Greeks need not feel isolated.

But Jones needs to redefine her role as student body president. Remaining in the background in order to not ostracize student groups is not indicative of good leadership.

Comments made by administrators indicate that the University will no longer be lenient with the Greek system and the campus at large concerning alcohol and drug abuse.

Jones has been working with Greeks to plan this year’s Homecoming parade. Matta said this will help promote their image as a service community.

“We are trying to help showcase the great things the Greek system does,” she said.

Helping Greeks improve their image is a good move, but it should be done in conjunction with, not instead of, taking a stance on the issues concerning drugs and alcohol on campus.

The student body president is supposed to serve as a liaison between students and administrators. But Jones has failed to assume this role by remaining silent while administrators are actively working to improve communication and oversight policies with the Greek system.

Jones’ appeal as a candidate for student body president was her passion for “linking Carolina together,” her campaign slogan. She started her term on a good note, hosting a candid discussion about free speech that addressed the controversial protests that occurred last April.

Her administration’s voice would be beneficial in the ongoing conversation between Greeks and administrators. She has shown strength as a mediator between groups before, and she should now exercise it in this and future situations.