In his Oct. 1 letter to the editor (“Granting in-state tuition status is unfair”), Alex Rhodes does an excellent job of bashing Christian Yoder’s stance (“Make ‘access’ meaningful,” Sept. 30) that illegal immigrants should be granted in-state tuition to North Carolina’s community colleges, but offers no insight as to why this shouldn’t be.

I think Mr. Rhodes needs a reality check: Charging illegal immigrants out-of-state tuition to attend community college won’t make life any easier for them or for native North Carolina residents. As Mr. Yoder stated, community colleges are designed to build up our state’s workforce. Providing immigrants with training allows them to get better jobs. The last time I checked, being paid more means paying more taxes.

It is also worth remembering that it takes comparatively little effort to be born on American soil than to uproot one’s life and family from another country to come to the United States. Merely having the legal designation of “U.S. citizen” should not necessarily entitle one to privileges to which others are denied.

Apparently Mr. Rhodes is under the impression that “stereotypically liberal” viewpoints are always incorrect. I don’t think he needs a better argument than the one right in front of his face.

Elly Schofield
Junior
English